Prof. Dr. Werner J. Bauer
Honorary Professor at TUM since 2010
Engineering in Life Science
Professor Bauer (b. 1950) began his career in 1975 as an assistant professor in the field of chemical engineering at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg. In 1980 he was appointed professor of chemical engineering at the Technical University, Hamburg and in 1985 he became director of the Fraunhofer Institute for Food Technology and Packaging. At the same time he was appointed to a professorship position in food processing technology at TUM.
In 1990 Professor Bauer became head of the Nestlé Research Center, Lausanne, and moved on to become Head of Nestlé Research and Development in 1996.
As a representative of Nestlé, Professor Bauer is also chairman of the supervisory board of Nestlé Deutschland AG and a member of the board of Galderma Pharma.
He is also chairman of the board of trustees for the Bertelsmann Foundation and a supervisory board member of Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA. Furthermore, Professor Bauer is member of the supervisory board of the GEA Group. He was a board member of L’Oréal S.A. and Alcon Pharma Inc.
- Executive vice president, Nestlé S.A., head of Innovation, Technology, Research and Development (since 2007)
- Chief technology officer (since 2007)
- Executive vice president, Nestlé S.A., head of Technical, Production, Environment, Research & Development (2002-2007)
- Commercial director, Nestlé Southern and Eastern Africa Region (2000-2002)
- Technical manager, Nestlé Southern and Eastern Africa Region (1998-2000)
- BioAlps Award (2011)
- Honorary senator, TUM (2010)
- Fellowship, International Academy of Food Science and Technology (IAFoST) (2003)
- "Prix de la Science et de l'Alimentation", The International Academy of Gastronomes (1995)
- Marcel Loncin Research Prize, Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) (1994)