Prof. Dr. Hans-Hermann Braess
Honorary Professor at TUM since 1992
Professor Braess studied mechanical and automotive engineering at TH Hanover from 1956 to 1962. After completing his studies he worked for Ford in Cologne as a chassis design engineer. In 1964 he joined TUM as a research assistant. In 1970, after completing his doctoral thesis, he joined Porsche AG in Stuttgart where he became head of research in 1977. In 1980 he moved to BMW AG where he became head of research and innovation.
At the same time he accepted a teaching assignment at the University of Stuttgart where he lectured until 1988. He was subsequently offered a teaching assignment at TUM.
From 1987 to 1989 Professor Braess was deputy chairman of the Society for Automotive and Traffic Systems Technology of the Association of German Engineers (VDI). In 1992 he became head of the traffic systems section of this organization. Professor Braess is a member of various boards and councils including the board of directors of the Bavarian Research Center for Knowledge-based Systems (FORWISS), the advisory board of the German Federal Highway Research Institute (BASt) and the science council. He is also a lifetime member of the research advisory board of the German Automobile Technology Research Association (FAT).
Since his retirement in 1997 he continues to advise BMW on fundamental scientific issues.
- Editor of the Vieweg Manual of Automotive Engineering (2011)
- Executive committee member of the Max Planck Institute for Extraterrestrial Physics and Astrophysics (1997-1998)
- Executive committee member of the German Federal Material Testing and Research Institute (1997-2001)
- Member of the research advisory board of the German Automobile Technology Research Association (FAT) of the German Association of the Automotive Industry (VDA) (1972)
- Deputy chairman of the research advisory board of the German Automobile Technology Research Association (FAT) (1980)
- Order of Merit on Ribbon of the Federal Republic of Germany (1999)
- Needle of Honor for services to the German Automobile Technology Research Association (FAT) of the German Association of the Automotive Industry (VDA) (1996)
- Special Award of motor vehicle safety awarded by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) (14th Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Conference) (1994)
- Benz-Daimler-Maybach Medal awarded by the Association of German Engineers (VDI) (1993)