Prof. Dr. Herbert Genzel
Honorary Professor at TUM since 1983
Hospital Organisation and Health Economics Medicine
Professor Genzel studied law and political economics in Munich and Würzburg. After finishing his studies he completed a legal post graduate trainee program at the Higher Regional Court in Munich and with the government of Upper Bavaria (1953-1957). He passed the first state examination in 1953 and the second state examination in 1957. Professor Genzel then assumed the position of junior lawyer in the Bavarian Department of Justice. During the course of his career he worked as a prosecuting attorney, municipal court judge, district attorney, presiding judge at Munich district court, senior government official and head of the Public Law Division in the Bavarian Department of Justice (1964-1967). Furthermore, Professor Genzel was a member of the academic staff at the Federal Constitutional Court in Karlsruhe and an examiner for the state law examinations between 1967 and 1988.
Professor Genzel has had teaching appointments at LMU Munich (1980-2000) and TUM. Between 1985 and 2000 he also taught a seminar entitled “Public health and epidemiology” as an adjunct professor in the Medical Faculty at LMU Munich. He has also worked at the Hospital Management Academy in Ingolstadt (1994-2005) and still works at the University of Applies Sciences in Neu-Ulm (since 1998) as an adjunct professor.
- Independent member and chairman of the State Committee of Physicians, Dentists and Health Insurance Companies in Bavaria (1990-2005)
- Independent chairman of the Bavarian Council on Social Care Insurance (since 1996)
- Expert member of the commission of inquiry of the 11th German Parliament on “The structure reform of the statutory health insurance system” (1988-1990)
- Member of the State Health Council of the Bavarian Parliament (1976-1988)
- Member of the Bavarian Hospital Planning Committee as a representative of the local authority associations
- Order of Merit on Ribbon of the Federal Republic of Germany (2005)
- Recipient of the “München leuchtet” medal in gold (1986)