Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Armin Lorenz
Deceased January 30, 2016
Honorary Professor at TUM since 1988
Sustainable Highway Engineering
Armin Lorenz studied civil engineering at TUM. After completing a post graduate trainee program at the Bavarian Building Authority, in 1959 he passed the state examination as the best student in his year. Following a five year stint as a government official at the Supreme Building Authority of the Bavarian State and in the Federal Ministry of Transport, for the next ten years he was head of one of the state highway departments and head of a department at the Autobahn office of Southern Bavaria and was responsible and competent for planning, obtaining building permission and constructing highways and freeways. He was a member of the traffic committee of the Olympic Games in Munich and leader of working groups of the Road and Transportation Research Association (FGSV).
In 1976 he took up a post at the Supreme Building Authority of the Bavarian State. Initially his work was centered on “Landscape planning and environmental design within the framework of government construction projects”. Commencing 1982 he was head of the Federal Interstate Highways Section where he was responsible for the planning, financing, construction and administration of all interstate highways in Bavaria. In 1989 he was appointed to the position of head of the Bavarian Highway Administration. In 1993 he became deputy head of the Supreme Buildling Authority in the Bavarian Department of Interior, Construction and Transport. Lorenz taught at TUM between 1976 and 1997.
- Deputy head of the Supreme Building Authority in the Bavarian Department of the Interior, Construction and Transport (1993-1995) and head of the Bavarian Highway Administration (1989-1995)
- Chairman of the Standing Conference of Heads of the Highway Administrations of the Federal States of Germany (1991-1994)
- Chairman of the examination board for the state examinations leading to top engineering positions in the Bavarian civil service and chairman of the expert group on civil engineering structures (1992-1995)
- Chairman of the Association of Highway and Transportation Engineers in Bavaria (VSVI-Bayern) (1990-1996)
- Consultant to the Infrastructure Development Institute – Japan (IDI) (1998-2000)
- Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany (1991)
- “Memorial Award” of the “Japan Highway Landscape Association (JHLA)” (2002)
- Honorary member of the “Japan Highway Landscape Association (JHLA) ”(2002)