Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Schmid
Honorary Professor at TUM since 2012
After studying food chemistry at the University of Karlsruhe, Professor Schmid joined the German Research Centre for Food Chemistry where he obtained his PhD under the supervision of Professor Grosch. Afterwards he worked as a project manager for MYAC Fleischtechnologie, a meat processing company. In 1986 he joined the Bavarian Health and Food Safety Authority (LGL) in Oberschleißheim.
As a laboratory and project manager at LGL he established the analytical means to analyze flavor compounds and stable isotope analytical techniques to determine the origin and authenticity of foodstuffs. In parallel to this, he worked as a scientific expert in the fields of alcohol free beverages, flavored foods and novel foods. In 2002 he was made head of the Food Supplements and Novel Foods Laboratory and in 2010 deputy head of the department responsible for food and cosmetic products at the Bavarian Health and Food Safety Authority (LGL). Professor Schmid has been teaching as an assistant lecturer at TUM since 1996.
- Head (chemical director) of the Food Supplements and Novel Foods Division of the Bavarian Health and Food Safety Authority (2002-2010).
- Chairman of the working committee “Food Additives, Labelling, Consumer Information” established as part of the drive towards safer foods in Bavaria by the Bavarian Ministry of the Environment and Public Health (StMUG) (2003-2008).
- Deputy head (senior chemical director) of the Food and Cosmetic Products Department at the Bavarian Health and Food Safety Authority (LGL) (since 2010).
- Member of the German Codex Alimentarius Commission established by the Federal Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Consumer Protection (BMELV) (since 1999).
- Chairman of the working committee on "Sweeteners" of the Standards Committee for Food and Agricultural Products (NAL) of the German Institute for Standardization (DIN) (1992-1998)