Prof. Hans-Ulrich Schmidt
Honorary Professor at TUM since 1985
Professor Schmidt started studying architecture at the Technical University of Darmstadt in 1946. After completing his studies he attended a post-graduate trainee program in the Construction Services Department of the Bavarian State which he finished by passing the Bavarian state examination leading to top positions in the Bavarian civil service (1951-1952). In 1953 Professor Schmidt entered the Bavarian civil service where he worked in various positions in the Construction Services Department in Munich, Ansbach and Würzburg. As an architect Professor Schmidt has traveled extensively in Central and Southern Europe, North Africa and America and produced a large number of drawings and watercolors. Selections of his over 2,500 watercolors and sketches are exhibited at TUM, at the Supreme Building Authority of the Bavarian State, at Versicherungskammer Bayern in Munich, Germany's largest public-sector insurance company, in Dresden and in Berlin. Since 1966 he has served on standards committees, been a delegate at the conference of the Secretaries of Housing and Urban Development of the German States and sat on the German national committee for the protection of historical monuments.
Professor Schmidt taught in the TUM of Department of Architecture from 1978 to 1993 on “The legal aspects of planning, building and urban development.” In 1985 he was appointed honorary professor at TUM.
- Chairman of the German Academy for Urban and Regional Spatial Planning (DASL) in Bavaria and member of the board (1986-1997)
- Senior department official at the Supreme Building Authority in the Bavarian Department of the Interior in Munich, responsible for urban development and promotion of urban development (1966 - 1986)
- Member of the advisory committee of the Bavarian Heritage Society and of the Bavarian State Institute for Development Financing (LfA) (since 1966)
- First Class Cross of Merit of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany (1996)
- Order of Merit on Ribbon of the Federal Republic of Germany (1986)