Prof. Dr. Günter Schuler
Honorary Professor at TUM since 1986
After completing his first degree in geology at the Universities of Erlangen and Munich, Professor Schuler (b. 1940) acquired his doctorate (Dr. rer. nat.) in 1967 at TUM for his work on lithological and sedimentological examinations in the northern Alps. As a recipient of a DFG grant he then conducted research in the field of sedimentology and palaeogeography on the lower division of the Keuper unit in the south of Germany as well as complementary studies involving the application of geologic science to civil engineering. As of 1969 Professor Schuler’s main occupation was as a geological engineer and hydrogeologist, in the field of research and in industry. For 17 years he worked for Baugrundinstitut Karl Kling, Krumbach, a civil engineering firm, and as of 1987 he was a partner at geotechnical engineering company Schuler & Gödecke in Augsburg. Between 1972 and 1986 he had a teaching assignment at TUM, lecturing on geological engineering and geotechnical engineering in practical real-life situations. In 1976 he acquired his postdoctoral teaching qualification in geology under the supervision of Professor Dr. P. Schmidt-Thomé and was appointed honorary professor in 1986. Between 1992 and 1998 he also had a teaching assignment at Augsburg University of Applied Sciences. He taught at TUM until 2005.
- Senior consultant and partner at geotechnical engineering company Professor Dr. Schuler and Dr.-Ing. Gödecke in Augsburg (since 1987)
- Teaching assignment to lecture on the application of geological engineering and environmental geology to civil engineering at Augsburg University of Applied Sciences (1992-1998)
- Honorary professor in the Department of Geological Engineering at TUM, lecturing on the examination and geological problems of unconsolidated material in the subsoil of building sites (1986-2005)
- Teaching assignment to lecture on geological engineering and geotechnical engineering and supervise the thesis work of degree candidates at TUM’s Institute of Geology (1972-1986)
- Consultant and scientific adviser at Baugrundinstitut Dipl.-Ing. Karl Kling in Krumbach/ Schwaben, a civil engineering firm (1969-1986)