Prof. Dr. Heinz Ulbrich
Professor emeritus since 30.09.2012
Academic Career and Research Areas
Professor Ulbrich's research activities cover the fundamentals of model building, systems theory, multibody systems with single and double constraints, non-linear vibrations, mechanical systems with time-variable structure, control and optimization of vibration systems. He works on applications in drivetrains for machines and vehicles, transmission vibrations, elastic robots, elastic rotors, mechanisms, humanoid robots, walking machines, motion cueing algorithms for dynamic driving simulators, bioanalogous inertial sensor systems, and camera motion controls for vehicles and aircraft.
Professor Ulbrich studied mechanical engineering at TUM, subsequently receiving his doctorate and becoming a professor in the field of mechanics. Positions as an engineer and scientist then took him to MAN Neue Technologie; NASA (Lewis Research Center), Cleveland, Ohio, USA, as a senior research fellow; TU as professor of machine dynamics and gear trains; to the University of Essen where he held the Chair for Mechanics; and finally back to TUM as a full professor of applied mechanics. He is a member of the advisory panel of NATO’s Physical and Engineering Sub-Programs, a member of the EUROMECH Solid Mechanics Conference Committee (ESMCC), a member of the board of GAMM, and a member of the board of the Dr.-Ing. Otto und Karla Likar Foundation and of the Timoshenko Foundation. He has published over 300 scientific works, including over 60 journal papers and 3 books.
- Teaching Award “Best Teacher in the Basics” (Goldene Lehre im Grundstudium), elected by the Student Board of Mechanical Engineering (Fachschaft Maschinenbau), July 14, 2006 (2006)
- Best Paper Award for Paper “Stabilization of a Rubbing Rotor Using Robust Feedback Control”, 7th International Conference on Rotor Dynamics of the IFTOMM, Vienna, Austria, Sept. 25-28, 2006 (2006)
- Peer Award for Outstanding Paper and Presentation at the 2nd International Symposium on Stability Control of Rotation Machinery, Gdansk, Poland 4 - 8 August, 2003 (2003)
- ISCORMA-1 AWARD in recognition of authorship of the outstanding paper “Determination of Contact Forces During Rubbing Considering Blade Dynamics”. The 1st International Symposium on Stability Control of Rotating Machinery, South Lake Tahoe, California, 20 - 24 August, 2001 (2001)
- NASA-Award: Certificate of Recognition for the creative development of a technical innovation (1994)
Key Publications (alle Publikationen)
Lohmeier S, Buschmann T, Ulbrich H: “System design and control of anthropomorphic walking robot LOLA”. IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics. 2009; 14(6): 658-666.Abstract
Zander R, Ulbrich H: “Reference-free mixed FE-MBS approach for beam structures with constraints”. Journal of Nonlinear Dynamics. 2006; 46(4): 349-361.Abstract
Ulbrich H: Maschinendynamik. Teubner-Verlag: Teubner Studienbücher Mechanik, 1996.
Ulbrich H: “A comparison of different actuator concepts for applications in rotating machinery”. Invited paper for the first issue of the International Journal of Rotating Machinery, Gordon and Breach Science Publishers. 1994; 61-71.