Professor Becker completed his mechanical engineering studies in 1957 at the University of Stuttgart. He started his career as a research assistant at the Institute of Automobile Manufacture in the Department of Machine Design and Automobile Manufacture at the University of Karlsruhe, of which he later became head. He performed his doctoral studies under the supervision of Professor Karl Kollmann and received his PhD in 1962 from the University of Karlsruhe. A year later be was appointed technical director responsible for research and development at WMF (Württembergische Metallwarenfabrik AG). In 1968 he joined Werner & Pfleiderer KG, Stuttgart, as a member of the executive board, of which he later became chairman. In 1983 he assumed the position of chairman of the executive board of what was then known as TÜV Bayern e.V.
- Honorary senator of the University of Stuttgart (1989)
- Honorary member of the Association of German Engineers (VDI) (since 1983)
- President of the Association of German Engineers (VDI) (1983-1988)
- Member of the executive board, Werner & Pfleiderer KG, Stuttgart (1968-1983)
- Technical director responsible for research and development at WMF (Württembergische Metallwarenfabrik AG) (1963-1968)