Academic Career and Research Areas
Studio Krucker Bates examines current issues in urban development and housing construction in Europe and beyond. Students are encouraged to explore reference from historical precedents as well as everyday life, to question conventions and traditional ways of thinking about architecture and the spaces we live in.
Stephen Bates graduated from the Royal College of Art in London in 1989. After working in London and Barcelona, he co-founded Sergison Bates architects with Jonathan Sergison in 1996. In 2006 the practice was awarded the Heinrich Tessenow Gold Medal for Architecture and the Erich Schelling Medal for Architecture, and many of their projects have earned international recognition and prestigious awards. Stephen Bates has taught at various architecture schools, including the Architectural Association in London, ETH Zurich and EPFL Lausanne, ESARQ and ETSAB in Barcelona, the Oslo School of Architecture and Design and the Harvard University Graduate School of Design. He has served on many international architectural competition juries, including the Iberian Premis FAD, the Stirling Prize in the UK, the Belgian Prize for Architecture the EU Mies van der Rohe Award.
- RIBA Stirling Prize: shortlisted for Courtyard housing, Lavender Hill, London (2023)
- Architect of the Year Award, Private housing category: winner for Mansion block, Hampstead, London, Courtyard housing, Lavender Hill, London and Harbour building, Antwerp, Belgium (2022)
- Housing Design Award: winner for Courtyard Housing, Lavender Hill, London (2022)
- BDA Brick Awards: winner for Mansion block, Hampstead, London (2022)
- New European Bauhaus Prize, winner for De Korenbloem care campus, Kortrijk, Belgium (2022)
Bates Stephen and Krucker Bruno (eds.): From the room to the city. Munich – Urbanity and Complexity. Zurich: Park Books, 2023.Abstract
Bates Stephen and Villavecchia Fernando: Lineage and Legacy. A certain Modernism in Cadaqués (second, revised edition). Luzern: Quart Verlag, 2023.Abstract
Atelier Kanal: KANAL. A TRIPTHYC. Book #1 Thinking. London, 2022.Abstract
Sergison Bates architects: On and around architecture. Ten conversations. Zurich: Park Books, 2021.Abstract
Sergison Bates architects: Papers 3. London, 2016.Abstract