Academic Career and Research Areas
The major research fields of Professor Müller are Empirical Capital Market Research, Asset Management, and Behavioral Finance. He is particularly interested in the price discovery process in financial markets, the investment behavior of institutional and individual investors, and the digitalization of the financial industry. Mr. Müller received several awards for his research which has been published in leading finance journals such as The Journal of Financial Economics and The Review of Financial Studies.
Professor Müller studied Business at the University of Mannheim and the University of Wales, Swansea. In 2011 he received his PhD from the University of Mannheim. In 2012 and 2013 he was a visiting researcher at the University of California at Berkeley, USA. In 2016, he was appointed as Professor of Corporate Finance at the German Graduate School of Management and Law (GGS) Heilbronn. Since September 2019, he serves as Professor of Finance at the TUM School of Management, TUM Campus Heilbronn.
- Spängler-IQAM award (Runner-Up) for Best Investments Paper in the Review of Finance 2018/2019 for the article “Economic links and cross-predictability of stock returns: Evidence from characteristic-based ‘styles’”.
- 1st prize of the Acatis Value Award 2018 for the article „Anomalies across the globe: Once public, no longer existent?“
- 1st prize of the Acatis Value Award 2015 for the article „Media Makes Momentum“.
- 2nd prize of the competition for the finance compass (Finanzkompass) 2015, Finanzplatz Hamburg e.V.
- Young talent award of the German Academic Association for Business Research (VHB) 2015 for the article „Media Makes Momentum“.
Jacobs H, Müller S: “Anomalies Across the Globe: Once Public, No Longer Existent?”. Journal of Financial Economics. 2020; 135 (1): 213-230.Abstract
Müller S: “Economic Links and Cross-predictability of Stock Returns: Evidence from Characteristic-based 'Styles'”. Review of Finance. 2019; 23 (2): 363-395.Abstract
Franke B, Müller S, Müller S: "The q-Factors and Expected Bond Returns”. Journal of Banking and Finance. 2017; 83 (10): 19-35.Abstract
Hillert A, Jacobs H, Müller S: “Media Makes Momentum”. Review of Financial Studies. 2014; 27 (12): 3467-3501.Abstract
Jacobs H, Müller S, Weber M: “How should individual investors diversify? - An empirical evaluation of alternative asset allocation policies". Journal of Financial Markets. 2014; 19 (3): 62-85.Abstract