Prof. Dr. Walter Weigel
Walter Weigel has been the VP and CSO of Huawei European Research Institute based in Leuven, Belgium since 1st April 2015.
From September 2011 to March 2015 he was the head of global cooperation management at Siemens Corporate Technology in Munich.
From September 2006 to July 2011 he was the Director General of the European Telecommunication Standards Institute ETSI in Sophia-Antipolis, France.
Until June 2006, he has held several positions within Siemens AG: Head of global standardization, VP of the Research & Concepts-department of the Mobile Networks business unit, head of the horizontal HW-development of the business unit Private Networks as well as Head of the business segment Video Processing in the semiconductor business unit.
He began his industrial career in February 1991 as a researcher for speech recognition at Siemens Corporate Technology in Munich.
Before that he did his Ph. D. in the field of pattern recognition at the institute for data processing after studying electrical engineering at the TU München.
- VP & CSO, Huawei European Research Institute (2014-2021)
- Director General of the European Telecommunication Standards Institute ETSI (2006-2011)
- VP of global Standardization and Regulation of Siemens Corporate Technology (2004-2006)
- VP of the Research & Concepts-department of the business unit Mobile Networks (2001-2004)
- Head of the business segment Video Processing of Siemens Semiconductor (1994-1997)