Academic Career and Research Areas
Rolf Moeckel analyzes travel behavior and develops transportation and land-use models. Such models are used to assess the impact of infrastructure investments and planning policies before they are implemented in reality. Dr. Moeckel has implemented an agent-based integrated land use/transport model for the Munich Metropolitan Area. The disaggregate model covers household relocation, demographic transition, person travel demand, freight travel and environmental impacts.
From 1996 to 2002, Dr. Moeckel studied Spatial Planning at the Technical University Dortmund and the University of Washington in Seattle. In 2006, he completed his doctorate at the Technical University Dortmund in land use modeling. He spent six years with the consulting firm Parsons Brinckerhoff in New York, NY and Albuquerque, NM as a principal professional associate. From 2013 to 2015, Dr. Moeckel conducted his postdoctoral research at the National Center for Smart Growth at the University of Maryland. In 2015, he joined TUM as a Rudolf Mößbauer Assistant Professor for Modeling Spatial Mobility. 2021, he was promoted to Associate Professor for travel behavior (tenured) at TUM.
- Harter Rupert Award for the paper “Zwick, Kuehnel, Moeckel, Axhausen: Agent-Based Simulation of City-Wide Autonomous Ride-Pooling and the Impact on Traffic Noise”, presented at the 100th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board.
- Teaching Award Doce et Delecta of the student council of the Department for Civil, Geo and Environmental Engineering at TUM: 1st Prize for the seminar Research Design: How to tackle a Master’s Thesis
- Scholarship for the TRB Chan Wui & Yunyin Rising Star Workshop during a transatlantic crossing on the Queen Mary 2 (2016)
- Doctoral Prize, TU Dortmund University (2007)
- Fulbright Scholarship (2000)
Key Publications (all publications)
Moeckel, Rolf; Kuehnel, Nico; Llorca, Carlos; Moreno, Ana Tsui and Rayaprolu, Hema: “Agent-based Simulation to Improve Policy Sensitivity of Trip-Based Models”. Journal of Advanced Transportation. 2020; Article ID 1902162.Abstract
Kuehnel, Nico; Ziemke, Dominik; Moeckel, Rolf and Nagel, Kai: “The end of travel time matrices: Individual travel times in integrated land use/transport models”. Journal of Transport Geography. October 2020; 88: 102862.Abstract
Zhang, Shihang; Moeckel, Rolf; Moreno, Ana Tsui; Shuai, Bin and Gao, Jie: “A work-life conflict perspective on telework”. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice 141. 2020; 51-68.Abstract
Moeckel R: "Constraints in household relocation: Modeling land-use/transport interactions that respect time and monetary budgets". The Journal of Transport and Land Use. 2017; 10 (2): 1-18.Abstract
Dawkins C, Moeckel R: "Transit-Induced Gentrification: Who Will Stay, and Who Will Go?" Housing Policy Debate. 2016; 26 (4-5): 801-818.Abstract